Yesterday, I came home from work to find that Alex had pigged out on a loaf of chocolate bread that I had stupidly left on the table. I was planning to take the bread to work to share, but Alex thought he needed to try to eat it all himself.
After much difficulty trying to discern exactly how much chocolate he had ingested, I figured out he hadn't eaten a toxic amount. There is a lovely chart in a dog book I have that tells you how much of all the different kinds of chocolate is toxic to your dog, but you still have to figure out many ounces of chocolate was in what they ate, and that sort of thing.
He was fine all last evening and also slept fine through the night. But when we got back from our morning walk, he started acting funny. When he doesn't feel well or he's hurt or something, he gets upset - you can tell something's wrong. So, I was freaking out thinking he was having a delayed reaction and was going to start having seizures at any moment. I called and made him a vet appointment first thing, and off we went. I was having horrible visions of him hooked to IV's and having all his little organs flushed out and having to get oodles of shots and medications. I had definitely worked myself into a state by the time we got there.
Well, after an exam that consisted of taking his temperature (it was a little high), listening to his heart and just checking him over for any swelling or anything, turns out Alex did not have chocolate poisoning. He had pancreatitis. Basically, he ate too much rich food and gave himself an upset tummy. He's a pig, in other words.
The doctor gave him an anti-inflammatory shot there, and he's had to fast all day today. He's absolutely hating that. He also has to take antibiotics to make sure his pancreatitis doesn't lead to any infection or anything and he has to eat special food for two weeks.
That loaf of bread was sooo not worth it!!
**Bad doggie update: I caught Alex with a chocolate bread stash! That stinker had taken a chunk of the bread and hidden it for a snack later! I caught him when he was still trying to retrieve it, so he didn't eat any more of it, at least.